best way to clean an alternator?

Jeff,
 If cleaning is your goal and not polishing, I would disassemble the unit
(sounds like you may have already done this?) and sandblast the case, then
perhaps clearcoat it.  While you're at it, blast the pulley/fan and repaint
in the color of your choice.
  In my estimation, nothing looks more "custom-cast" than blasted
aluminum....
  Barring that, a small stainless steel 'toothbrush' will effectively clean
all but the tightest crevices.  Let me know if you need one of these
toothbrushes...I have a small supply and will send you one.

Larry

> Jeff Toomasson wrote:
>
> > I've been cleaning everything on my way through the ABA rebuild (made it
past the frozen crank BTW (#2 and #3 rod caps were switched (don't know how
though....))) I figured I might as well clean the alternator too.

> > I could use the wire wheel on the bench grinder for the housing and
maybe the dremel for the nooks and crannies?? The thing won't be run for a
few months so if I were to get it wet I don't think it would affect
anything...