I'm starting to get scared.....more deconsrtuctions andquestions

Quoting stetson <tim@unrealexpectations.ath.cx>:

> 1.) In the pic "bearings" you'll notice that #4 (the closest to the block)
> has definite scoring on the bearings. Does it look excessive? All the
> others have no such marks. I know it doesn't mater on the connecting rod
> side as they'll be getting new bearings but think it did nasty things to
> the crank? I can't feel it so far if so.....

It is a bt more than I would like to see for the mileage, but it should be
okay...  Have your machine shop look at that journal when they get the crank
and have them check to see if the journal is even across it.  It might be more
telling if we could see the journal on the crank instead...  Worst case, they
may need to machine it, and you might have to get an oversized bearing for
that one journal, no biggie...  :-)

> 2.) Should I take the oil pump/dist. drive shaft to be tested and trued w/
> the block and crank?

Bentley should outline the test for wear, but with the wear that I see there,
and the cost of a new pump (almost positive it is the same as the ABA, which
should not be more than approx. 65.00), I would chunk it and get a new one...

> 3.) What do you think of the pistons? The have some scoring on the
> non-sqirter side but otherwise look very clean.

The scoring seems high for the amount of mileage, but the scoring I had on my
1.8 8V were much worse, and it drives fine...  :-)  I would recommend Total
Seal rings, though...  I love mine, more hp (yes, a small amount)...

> 4.) Does the amount of sludge in the oil pan look commeasurate w/ 106K
> mi.?

Hard to tell by a pic...  The sludge between the fingers test (as if it were a
booger) is more telling...  What does it feel like?  Smooth and slick, or does
it have a roughness to it?  Gritty?  And how does it smell (yes, I am
strange)?  Does it smell like oil and gas, or does it have a slightly rotten
odor to it?  The rotten odor will give you an indication of how much
maintenance it saw before you got it.  The more the stink, the more the lack
of maintenance (ie oilchanges).

> 5.) Will I need new freeze plugs?

If you are having the engine tanked, yes, you will...  They should never be
trusted after an agressive cleaning...  It is well know that VW uses rust to
seal the freeze plugs...  :-)

HTH a bit

David Utley