What an SUV is supposed to be...

On 27 Mar 2004, at 00:48, Julie Macfarlane wrote:

> That was a heck of a pic. I showed my daughter and she thought the two
> were "cute".
> Either one would embarass a Land Rover by the looks!

Different vehicles - different games :)

Land rover is tough, heavy duty, and heavy weight. The kind of vehicle
you'd use to blaze across Africa (even though if it was 20 years old)

Haflinger (and possibly Pinz, although not qualified to say as have no
experience of them) - is light weight (so light that 4 people can
actually pick it up out the ditch), nimble, and built for extreme
terrain. The kind of vehicle you'd want to be in to climb a mountain.

Horses for course as we say over here, different tools for different
jobs. My ideal list of vehicles:

Scirocco 8V bored out to 2.1 for city work
Porsche 928 S4 for motorway work
Left hand drive BMW M6 for European touring holidays and autobahns, I
live in the UK where we drive on the WRONG side of the road, making all
sorts of very tasty and extremely cheap euro cars impractical.
TVR Cerbera for fast road
Landrover 110 TD5 for heavy duty/off road/towing.
And lots of others just for the hell of it: audi coupe widebody
(Classic), Saab 900T (Classic), Ferrari 400 (the ultimate coupe),
Lancia Delta Integrale 4x4, Corvette Stingray, Starship Enterprise,
Christine, Batmobile.... hey I can dream can't I?!

Onelove

Aaron in London

> Julie Macfarlane
> 1981 MKI 2L 16v w 2Y
> "For good health : EAT RICE!"
> Amsterdam NY
>

>> From: Aaron <aaron@brixtonhill.demon.co.uk>
>> Subject: Re: What an SUV is supposed to be...
>> Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 00:14:21 +0000
>>
>> I drove a Haflinger when I was a kid - here's a pic of one being
>> towed by it's Pinz big brother:
>>
>> http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~ppzcad/pics/nottham.jpg
>>
>> Loved it - local laird (Highlands of Scotland) used them for dragging
>> red deer off the hill. So light, loads of traction, could take on
>> terrain that only a quad bike could match, but could carry a lot
>> more. Hunters used them just like horses, which is why they called
>> them haflingers I guess :)
>>
>> Can't imagine what it might be like to drive one on the road though!
>>
>> Aaron in London
>>

>> On 26 Mar 2004, at 18:19, Eric S wrote:
>>
>>> Notice the mention of Cold War Remarketing here in Colorado.  I've
>>> seen so
>>> many Pinzgauers around its not even funny.  The guy running the
>>> place is
>>> thinking of importing Iltis too, now that they are old enough.
>>>
>>> Pinzs are pretty tough and spartan...aircooled motor, so no heat in
>>> winter, and dog slow.  I'd take one over a Unimog anyday
>>> though...still,
>>> given the choice, I'll take the Iltis.
>>>
>>> OH Jeeze, they guy commutes in a Halflinger now?  He's crazy, those
>>> things
>>> aren't much bigger than a golf cart!
>>>
>>> So Julie, you want a cool SUV?  www.iltis.ca
>>>
>>> --