K-Jet FI running too rich?

Hey people

I don't know very much about adjusting fuel injection systems, as will
become obvious.

MY 8V K-Jetronic roc is running rich (I think), I'm getting run on,
sometimes for as long as 2-3 secs on shutdown after a run. And my plugs
looked quite sooty on my last service (but the PO sold me the car in a
terrible state, so that may not be surprising).

My Haynes (I'm UK, Bentley's are hard to come by), mentions that:

"associated with the fuel accumulator is a pressure regulator which is
an integral part of the fuel metering device. When the engine is
switched off, the pressure regulator lets the pressure to the injection
valves fall rapidly to cut off the fuel flow through them and so
prevent the engine from 'dieseling' or 'running on'. The valve closes
at just below the opening pressure of the injector valves and this
pressure is then maintained by the pressure  accumulator."

How do I test whether this 'pressure regulator' (wherever the hell that
is) is bad or not?

How do I know whether I'm running rich or not?

If I am running rich, how do I adjust it?

What balance of rich and lean do I want if I'm tuning for performance
over economy (which is what I'd want)?

Thanks, very, in advance for taking time to answer this

Aaron in London

P.S.

While we're on the subject of my ignorance, how do I pull the head on
an 8V? Got everything disconnected, except the manifold, how do I get
the manifold off the downpipe?  - can't see what the hell I'm doing
back there.

Thanks again...

'83 GTi 8V Doner
'85 GTX DD