More SOT cabby questions:

----- Original Message -----
From: "C Boyko" <roccit_53@hotmail.com>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 11:09 PM
Subject: More SOT cabby questions:

> I figure this '88 Cabby is pretty close to an 8V Rocc in terms of the
engine
> bay, so here are a few more questions, I know some of you guys have
ragtops.
> 1. Who puts air on a Cabby? Oh, I already asked that.

My wife will have the a/c on, top down, go figure.

> 2. On your 8Vs, do any of you have problems with the upper rad hose
rubbing
> on the alternator? Suggestions for solutions?

Not yet, try the proper hose or customize a solution.

> 3. Charging. If the voltage drops from accessories, is it the voltage
> regulator? (I'll have to do the Bentley diagnostics tomorrow) And how
tough
> is that to fix?

Check the grounds, add a few extra, I think cabby's are worse then rocco's
in this area.  Get a nice 2 guage for the negative batt cable.

> 4. It's a 1.8 8V. Will H&R 16V springs be too stiff/tall etc for it? I'm
> thinking the chassis is a bit heavier than an 8V Rocco, so they should be
> okay?

They will work, I'm looking into this as well since I'm about to do this
with the wifes new cabby.  Conserned about the front pitching up just a bit,
but it should be ok since the front springs allow more drop then the rear's
do.  Have them on my rocco, give the car a nice aggressive rake, then again,
I have the 16v up front as well.

> 5. Suggestions for stereo stuff that will fit are invited. (amps/subs etc,
> this is my daughter's car, in theory)

I've had sucess in this area.  The wifes system is a mutt (mix/match) but
she hears it with the top up or down with no problems.  Here is the list

head unit: Panasonic (silver) CD/MP3 player
Front door speaker:  Polk Audio 4x6  (very good quality sound, would also
reccomend Memphis speakers)
Rear door card area:  Infinity 6 1/2" rounds.  Take a bit of drilling and
small loss in window roll down, but who rolls the rear windows down anyway.
These give great high and mid's and can easily be heard without the help of
an amp.
Trunk Stuff:  MTX 10" sub in a small sealed box being pushed by a Bazooka
300w amp.

This setup is great because you will hear it just fine with the top up or
down, but the folks 15 feet away from you won't give you dirty looks as they
really won't be able to hear it.  With the top down, naturally, it can be
heard from farther away, but it's not so bad the whole neighborhood will
sent bags of burning dog dung to your door step.