More SOT cabby questions:

On 3/23/04 11:09 PM, "C Boyko" <roccit_53@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I figure this '88 Cabby is pretty close to an 8V Rocc in terms of the engine
> bay, so here are a few more questions, I know some of you guys have ragtops.
> 1. Who puts air on a Cabby? Oh, I already asked that.

What?  The utter decadance of driving down the street, top down, A/C
blasting on your feet?  It's fun.  Unfortunately, my '81 never had A/C.

> 2. On your 8Vs, do any of you have problems with the upper rad hose rubbing
> on the alternator? Suggestions for solutions?

Nope.
> 3. Charging. If the voltage drops from accessories, is it the voltage
> regulator? (I'll have to do the Bentley diagnostics tomorrow) And how tough
> is that to fix?

Voltage regulator is very simple, if that is what it turns out to be.  Two
phillips head screws.

> 4. It's a 1.8 8V. Will H&R 16V springs be too stiff/tall etc for it? I'm
> thinking the chassis is a bit heavier than an 8V Rocco, so they should be
> okay?

Since I have an idea WHAT H&R springs you're considering :D...

-I ran them on my car before swapping the 16V in.  The front end seemed to
poke up SLIGHTLY:

<http://alchemist.dyndns.org/pix/IMG0064.jpg>

-I have the EXACT same setup on my Scirocco, except I cut 1/2 turn off the
front springs.  It sits nicely, if you remember.  If not, I can get pix.

> 5. Suggestions for stereo stuff that will fit are invited. (amps/subs etc,
> this is my daughter's car, in theory)

Whew, it's rough. I did modifications to mine to fit Rockford-Fosgate 5 1/4"
components in the doors (used plain door cards out of an '80 Rabbit and
modified to fit), stuck a pair of 4" Pioneers in the back (I never had rear
speakers), and a 10" sub in the trunk.

Cabriolets are noisy cars.  You're gonna have a lot of wind noise...so
bigger is better.  I think the stock door speakers are TINY.  Someone else
wanna jump in and help on this?  I just asked Brett, "Here is money.   Make
me buy stuff."  And we did. :D

> The car's great. It's all ready for the big scary E-test, and hopefully
> it'll breeze through safety. It now has new oil/ oil and air filters/ 3 new
> belts/ plugs/ a bunch of tensioning bolts and a bunch of other misc stuff,
> like the wasp nest removed forn the tranny housing. I took it for a ride
> tonight and it's really a lovely little car. Hopefully it got its hissy fit
> out of the way with the thrown belt, and I can once again lavish my
> attentions on the two main cars in my life ( Klaus and the headache)
> You can reply off list, thanks once again for your patience.
> Cathy

Hehe. No problem ;)

| Jim Jarrett,Rochester NY      '93 Passat GLX, '84 Scirocco    |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net         '81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |