clutch

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Ryan Ruggles wrote:

> ok so I got the tranny off.  Inside the bellhousing is soaked bu the
> inout shaft looks pretty dry.  Is it the rear amin seal?  Also I notied

It could be; if I were you I'd change them all while you're there. It'll
never be easier.. here's a shopping list for ya:

- rear main seal
- mainshaft seal
- bronze pushrod bearing (important! don't replace seal without
  replacing it or you're just wasting your time)
- pushrod seal (pinky-finger diameter)

Everything above should cost you around $16-$20 total.. well worth not
having to fill your fluids on a weekly basis.

if you're feeling adventurous:
- drive flange seals, caps, and circlips
- selector shaft seal
- clutch level seal
- throwout bearing
..

> when I had the trnny out pulled up on the clutch/shift lever on the
> tranny and I noticed the shift rod didn; retract after I lt go of the
> shift lever.  Is that normal or is that why my clutch was slipping?

clutch/shift lever..? well, which is it? the clutch lever, or the shift
lever?

Your clutch slipping won't have anything to do with the shift lever. If
the clutch lever is jamming in the 'up' position then that may be
contributing, however.

If you're talking about the pushrod (which has nothing to dow ith
shifting) not retracting when you lift up on the clutch arm and let it go
back down, then that's perfectly normal and has no ill effects.

Need more details (and clarity, dammit) about your problem.

-Toby