clutch help

Ryan Ruggles wrote:
> Any tricks I should know about before i start to do the clutch on my 84 gti?
> Never done one on a front wheel drive car before.  ANY HINTS? Do I need to
> drop both cv shafts?
>

> Oh ya, I can see that the pressure plate and flywheel are wet.  I am
> assuming gear oil.  Where could this be coming from. I know its not engine
> oil cause the motor goes through none.
>
> Ryan on his virgin clutch job
>

> _______________________

Archives, go the view by thread for CLUTCH.
<http://www.scirocco.org/list/archives/1998/December/msg01505.html>

(I did some searching using my own ID and the words clutch &/or tranny
but I quit cause I'm tired).

You can get a four piece twelve-point (tripplesquare) drive kit from :

<http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&q=12+point+triple+square+tools&spell=1>

<http://shop.store.yahoo.com/toolsplus/lis60750.html>

<http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/search_links/123.asp>

Ohh, ohh, single bits for sale:
<http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/KD-2304.html>

As you may know, you'll want to support the motor with the trans out.
two 2x4s cut just long enough to fit the same width as the hood, not to
sit ON the fender's top edge but rather in the space the open hood used
to be. (Otherwise you dent the fenders.)

The pushrod bushing is a good thing to replace while things are out,
it's brass alloy. You can break the old one out and drive the new one
in, easy peasy. Of course the other seals are best replaced as well
while things are out.

VW clutches are held together somewhat 'backwards' compared to other
manufacturers. Of course I didn't know any of this, one thing to
remember once you are reinstalling the pressure plate is the bolts
holding it to the block need that blue locktite on them and new bolts
are cheap. Also, they encounter oil on the back side of the threads, so
be really scrupulous about cleaning the threads just prior to
installation. A good blast of highly evaporative cleaner (injector or
something like B12-Chemtool) will leave 'dry' threads to bolt into. I
mean cleaning the receiving holes' threads, not the bolts- they need to
be clean and dry but have the blue locktite stuff on them.

OK, I'm babbling. Good night.

TBerk
going to a job networking thing tomorrow. Wish me luck.