soldering 4 ga copper wire?

T. Reed wrote:
> So I'm redoing my grounds.. and this time I'm determined to solder instead
> of crimp. Particularly after the no-starting fiasco I went through in
> weeks past.
>
> Any tips on how to go about this? Obviously my little 25w iron isn't going
> to cut it. I'm afraid a propane torch will just burn off the insulation..
>
> -Toby

One thing to concider is a soldering iron, one that is heavy, chisel
pointed and has no heating element.

The metal working dudes heat them up independantly (here's where propane
can play it's part) and then you pre-tin, and slap it on the work.

Remeber; heat the work, not the solder.

> Also I'm looking for a good ground point. My lower starter bolt has proven
> to be a crappy one at best. I'd like to nab one of those A2
> engine-to-tranny bolts that has the small stud protruding from the
> bolt head designed specifically for this purpose, but the junkyards
> around here are worth their weight in honduhs so I haven't had luck
> finding one.

Plenty abound. You'll want to evaluate the benefits of a large bolt vs
it's primary purpous as a fastener- If this nice big grounding point
needs to have some important holding responsabilities you may not want
to add a (slippery) copper conductive ring into the mix.

Look for places that are currently unused and add a fastener to hold the
ground cable in place. And/or low tourque locations.

In the imortal words of Mr. Meze; "hth",
TBerk