Legal options on gas tank recall

Hello all... I have had some difficulty with my gas tank leaking....I have contacted VW North America and with a little investigating have found that my car has had the tank replaced in 1991 during the recall campaign....people have told me that the tank is covered for the life of the car...if this is true then VW should replace the tank....they have told me there is nothing else they can do and they are not obligated to replace the tank...the tank is leaking from the same spot that the recall explained....is there any legal recourse I can take or is this something I must pay for and deal with?  Please let me know any of your thoughts on this!
Chadster '87 16v