Gear oil leak

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Chad Eatock wrote:

> The product I bought is a gear oil additive designed to help smooth out
> shifting and prevent leakage....it is guaranteed to be compatible with all
> gear oils/tranny fluids....the Bentley suggests 80W90 gl-5...still think I

You don't want gl-5.

See: http://www.nwlink.com/~vdb/vw/Transmission/tranny.lube

> should forego the additive?

I would. You don't want anything that changes the amount of lubrication
because synchros require friction in order to operate. No synchros = lots
of grinding and quickly broken tranny.

> Chadster '87 16v

The main thing you're after is a GL-4 lube. They are harder to find than
you would think (at the local auto parts store) but they are around.

HTH

-Toby