Gear oil leak

> Looks like it's time to wrench on the ol' gear box...I'm leaking oil
> after each drive from the gearbox....maybe driveshaft seal?  I

Likely culprits include the drive flange seals (back by the inner cv
joints), and the mainshaft seal or rear main seal (you can distinguish
which of these two by the type of oil leaking.. gear vs. motor)

> dunno...gonna get some stop leak and drain the box tonight and refill
> with some new oil and stop leak and drive her.....I have got my eye out

Nooooo! Don't put any stop leak product in your rocco unless you're
absolutely screwed (stuck on the side of the road somewhere) and you plan
to replace whatever part you're putting the stop leak in (ie. the whole
cooling system, the whole power steering system, etc)

Chances are it won't even stop the leak(s), and even if it does they will
return in short order. It will however succeed in plugging everything up
internally and making bad stuff happen.

I don't think they even sell stop leak for gearboxes, but I figured its
best to warn you anyway.

Also, make sure you're not putting ATF in the gearbox! I think the tranny
takes 85w90 gl-4 gear oil. Don't put anything else in.. unless its Redline
MTL.

> for a 4K if anyone up here in the Great White North knows where one sits
> lemme know!!

They're fairly easy to come across, though frequently overpriced. They
came on tens of thousands of Rabbits, Sciroccos and Jettas. Look at '84
vehicles especially, that's when most (all?) of them were built.

-Toby