2.0 conversion

> Hey listers!
> I have found a 2.0l 9A engine for a decent price finally!  A 1991
> Passat 2.0l - only negative thing is there is no harness/fuel system and
> high Km's 254,000.....for $450CDN.

Thats US$300-$350 ish, right?

Not a bad price, but that's kinda high mileage (= 152400). If it has been
well cared for you should be okay, but I'd be a little wary if its a
junkyard motor or sth like that.

> What do you guys think?  I am thinking about going over and at least
> checking it out as all the other 2.0l I have found are in the $700-$800
> range... Also, I found a 1992 passat with wiring harness and fuel system
> intact...I have'nt got a price yet but am thinking about checking it out
> just to have the motronic stuff in case I want to do that change in the
> future....but for now I am thinking about the 2.0l swap and keeping the
> CIS-E system for now....if I were to do this what would I have to do?
> Do i still need the motronic fuel system stuff?  Or can the engine be
> swapped in and the CIS-E stuff retrofitted onto the 2.0l?  Do I need the
> autotech down pipe for this motor?  I'm getting restless and I just want
> to go pick this motor up!!  Yee haw!
> Chadster '87 16v

It's a piece of cake to use CIS-E, just bolt up the new block and put the
head back on, no changes to wiring, fuel or otherwise.

If you might want the motronic stuff later then grab it (if you get a good
deal) but it is a much more involved swap. Lots of electrical & fuel line
splices, some fabricating, I think. It's detailed in the scirocco.org
technotes IIRC.

Not sure which autotech downpipe you're referring to but if it has to do
with the block height, the 2l block is dimensionally identical to the
1.8l, so nothing special is needed in the exhaust arena.

HTH
-Toby