Small local Rocco mailing list vs. .Org Was: Gmail

Allyn Wrote --
erm, patrick, arent you a french canadian???
--

You took the comment I made out of context, I was talking about Texans,
Therefore I was not speaking about myself, but simply remarking about how

Allyn Wrote --
i should hope not, cause all the ... ah-DAMAGE-hem ... was done to it in
texas!
--

The "ah-DAMAGE-hem" I know nothing about, and would not be blamed on a
state, but on the person that was the current owner, damage to a scirocco

Allyn Wrote --
Ok, on that note, check this out; Dave Winchell's red 16v is sitting in my
driveway, just today his DPR seems to have gone out. You are telling me that
the owners of 100-150 cars (and probably many parts to boot), that we are
unable to ask for assistance in this matter - as we can't post to the tst
list. It just seems sad that's all. It would be a shame if we couldn't get
Dave's Rocco back on the road while there were 10 DPRs in Texas sitting on
someone's shelf somewhere. (Edited for typos)
--

I understand your point about an open list versus a closed list, but we have
already an open list, if people decide for what ever reason they do not wish

As far as finding things, such as parts, the web is a grand thing, and parts
can be acquired without ever joining the list, people that beg for a used
part, usually could of found one at the same price by searching the numerous
tools on the web and save time and energy, I don't believe the .org list was
to become a "please find me a part because I am too lazy to search the parts
store on the web" when it was started.

Besides if the scirocco owners of SC or NC or even nearby states should
indeed "get-together" the strength of such a group is the united way the
group works.

.org is HUUUGE, and there is always someone local to you or nearby that may
answer, but chances are your requests, gets lost in the mass-mailing of the
.org and 90% of the time you get no reply to your query forcing you to a)
try to find the part yourself on the web or b) repost your email, thus
creating more mass mail that people ignore.

Perhaps if you had a more localized smaller mailing list, you would find the
same part, for the same price, but located in a much smaller area, and the
folks on that list, would more than likely a) feel like helping b) read your
email instead of deleting it.

Bigger is not always better in life.

I agree to have a centralized Rocco List such as .org but, I also think that
if, there are enough folks in one particular area, then there should also be
a local offshoot mailing list for those members. It permits better localized
interaction, without creating more mass mail that anyone else not in the
area on the .org would care less to see in their mail box.

Therefore TST mailing is actually a "filter" and a "service" by removing
local news and mail that would otherwise be posted on .org mailing list, and
clutter the mail archive with only localized information that does not
really belong on the .org mailing list.

This removal of "clutter-mail" off the .org mailing list, therefore in the
end permits the .org to be more what it is supposed to be, an informative,
technical, mailing list, not a chatterbox mailing list.

Heck most of the members that post on the .org list do not even know a) the
archives can answer the 10 most repeated email posted to it b) bother to
search it, because "someone, will answer my post, if I post and repost it
enough time on the .org or vwvortex list".

The TST is private because it only cares to have local state wide mail
traffic on it, the post ration is perhaps 3-10 emails a day at the most, and
when a question is asked, 99% of the time, it's a question that I have not
seen before, or if I have I refer them to a web site (even some time the
.org archives) to answer the question

Perhaps TST members can bring answers and solution to questions on the .org
list, but to be honest, we have less colorful characters on the TST list,
and the Egos are no so present in the emails, the division between, "I know
it all" types and "I wish to learn" types, is not so present on the TST
list.

It is far from being Utopian, but at least, when someone has a bone to pick
with someone, we are not so childish as to publish it on the member's
mailing list and we take it offline, something that I have yet to see on
.org list, actually the contrary over the last three years on .org

Can Scirocco Texan Bring anything to the .org list, perhaps that is so, but
I cannot force anyone to join any mailing list can I?

You can bring a horse to a water hole, but you cannot force it to drink.

Hoping that I have covered all the answers you where seeking.

ATS - Patrick Bureau - Canuck in Texas
ATS A1 Parts on ebay - http://tinyurl.com/22e5b