Is this a 3d stick?

Sounds like it needs a bit of adjustment. The top line up should read (left
to right)
Reverce, 1, 3, 5. Only reverce needs to have the stick depressed a bit to
slide it in to gear.
5th needs to have the sick (pushed) to the right a bit.

Julie Macfarlane
1981 MKI 2L 16v w 2Y
Amsterdam NY
http://www.menloparkrandd.com/scirocco