Is this a 3d stick?

The pattern is right I just have to press down to get to the 1st / 2nd
gear "column".
What do you mean by "lift"? Sorry if I sound Clinton-ish here but do you
mean grab the knob and lift the stick or what? The spring seems to be
fine. It pushes the stick back up into place correctly.
I crawled under the car today while my dad shifted and I couldn't see
anything getting in the way or otherwise preventing normal shifting,
however it sounds like whatever is "in the way" is happening right under
the stick further back on the car when I am under the car with my feet
sticking out from under the front). I cant get this far back with out
jacking it up a lot more.

--
Cars:

	'78 Lincoln mark V "QE2" nearly abandoned work in progress
	'80 scirocco mk1 the "floater"
	Indiana red makes me think of an a&w root beer can
	'92 tempo "the ford" soon to be replaced by rocco as DD
Khukuri:
	18" Himalayan Imports Kobra "pillow knife"