Plugs 101

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:02:23 EDT, Wolfsbrg8v@aol.com wrote:

>Bosch Platinum2 -- any good in an 8v?

The merits of the Bosch platinum plugs are often discussed on the
Mercedes forums.  Collective wisdom is that they do not work well
(eventual rough idle, poor performance)in any Benz built prior to
1998.  The problem (so say the tech types) has more to do with the
less precise timing of fuel delivery in older FI systems than the plug
itself.

As far as brand of plug, I run Bosch Silbers in the Scirocco and they
seem to work very well.  I recently changed to NGKs in the Benz after
years of copper core Bosch pugs.  More of an experiment in longevity
testing.  I was changing the Bosch plugs (and noticing a difference)
way too often so I'm giving the NGKs a shot.  So far, so good.

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9