Plugs 101

> From: "Larry Fry" <rocco16@sbcglobal.net>
> Date: 2004/06/18 Fri AM 08:02:30 EDT
> To: "David Utley" <fahrvegnugen@cox.net>,
> 	<Wolfsbrg8v@aol.com>,
> 	<scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
> Subject: Re: Plugs 101
>
>   They'll work.  Just about as well as any other (proper for the
> application) spark plug.
>      The only advantage of the premium plugs is that their precious metal
> electrode(s) may retain their gap somewhat longer than the standard plugs.
> BTW, there is little advantage in a multiple-ground eletrode unit, certainly
> not what their increased price would indicate.
> Larry

I disagree...  :-)  Follow my advice on what brand, and then play with the 'model' of plug.  I will agree that for the lower compression motors, the multiple tip is a waste of time.  However, there are some cars that do better with the multi-tip.  The AEG enginges, the follow-up after the all-powerful ABA ;-) motor uses a three tip plug, where the 1.8T uses a single tip.  To me it defies logic, but I do not know the true logic behind it.  However, I do know that when the single tip plugs (101-000-063-AA) are used in that 2.0 by mistake, instead of the (101-000-033-AA), they run like shiat...

So, -ultimately- the choice is yours.  Your experiences may be different from both of ours, for any a number of factors (altitude, ie relative air density, driving style, quality of gas, octane level, age of engine, quality of ignition system, bladh de blah)...  At least now you have more information to be more confused by...  :-)

HTH, even a little bit,
  David

Cheers,
  David Utley