Need help from the Scirocco Repair Gods

OK, I don my Pontification Chapeau:

- Carbon Tracking thing: After cleaning, apply Dielectric Grease to
inside sealing surface of plug boot to keep out future moisture and
(help) keep spark in.

- Grounding thing: It's a wonderful time to make sure your Block,
Computers, & Battery are securely and electrically connected to the
Chassis, which is the frame of reference for 0 volts. That Dielectric
grease will come in handy here also.

- Fording Rivers thing: My 1st thought was also 'soaked Air Filter'.
Depending on the depth and time spent you might have gotten water in
the clutch but that would seem to cause slippage (no forward motion in
  relation to Revs climbing higher) if anything, and would seem to
work itself out on the ride home.

I believe it's not a mechanical thing (unless the air filter is
soaked) and if it turns out to be electrical, consider the following:

- Limp Mode might be because of faulty Spark Plug firing.

- Limp Mode might be because of bad/poor electrical grounding; (not a
full 12 volts running _through_ the Ignition system.)

If you are running at a marginal 11.5v or something a situation that
draws away the cushion makes for a poor running car.

Thems me thinks,
TBerk