Need help from the Scirocco Repair Gods

Had the same problem a long time ago on the 16V... found the moisture had
been trapped down the spark plug hole which lead to arcing and eventually
carbon tracking... the carbon was very light so the car would run normally
but as soon as any moisture got in there the car would run as you
described. pull the wires and inspect the insulator ends. You can clean and
dry them but I thin you might want to replace them if it looks bad.

-Raffi