From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of David L. Winchell, II
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 8:17 PM
To: Scirocco List
Subject: Need help from the Scirocco Repair Gods

Ok guys,

I need your help on this one.  Today I was driving the Rocc (87 2.0L 16V
using the 1.8L head) as I was doing review work instead of full onsite
inspections. It began to rain very heavy. Traffic had come to almost a
crawl.  I approached a flooded (about 4-5 inches of moving water)
intersection. As luck would have it just as I got to the deepest part of the
water I got stopped for cross traffic. As the light turned green, I let off
the clutch and pressed the accelerator to find that I was barely moving.  I
tried flooring.... nothing... let off and try to slowly accelerate....
nothing.  I was able to make it to coverage at a gas station where I checked
for loose wires, water logged anything... nothing. I shut the car off,
waited about a minute and started again.  Had power back but was not full. I
made it across the bridges and back home where I switched cars and completed
my field work.

As reference, on the way to Cincy and before I had been experiencing what
felt like a dead cylinder in first and second gear up to 3K rpm. And as
usual when Al looked at the car, it wasn't misbehaving. Now that I have
returned it is acting up again and with today's adventure, I would like to
get this resolved.

Al suggested that something maybe shorting out.  I remember that these cars
have "limp home" mode, but don't remember what the causes and solutions are.
Any help from the all knowing Scirocco Repair Gods would be greatly
appreciated. I was hoping to not have to take it up to Al's with an "I don't
know what is wrong..." story... "can you help me?" begging for assistance. I
know I will most likely end up there anyway for this as I can take care of
basic things, but I know when I am over my head.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

David L. Winchell, II
DavidWinchell2@sprynet.com