Cold idling problem

Hmmm, I am almost positive there are no other leaks in the system, I
checked most of the lines earlier today. What makes me think it is the
missing thermoswitch specifically is that my car did NOT do this idling
problem before I was messsing around around the intake area when
replacing my distributor and lost the switch. Also, my car only does
the stalling/idling problem when the car is cold, when it warms up, it
revs and idles fine, albeit a little 16vish waiver. What I am thinking
is the thermoswitch senses that the temperature is low and tries to
divert the airflow from the missing thermoswitch, opening up the valve.
I think this is what may cause my car to starve for air when it is
first warming up. Can anyone verify this?
Also, should I literally just plug up the port to the preheat valve and
from the manifold? I removedhe manfiold vacuum line and plugged it up
and the problem got a litle better, but i havent tried getting around
the preheat valve line.

What does anyone think?