Car choices

Kervin Ridgley wrote:

> Not all the way off topic, but I'd like a little input.
>
> I got a promotion at work to a bottom manager (Finance Manager).

Congrats.

 > I get a choice of a demo to drive or $250 per month.
>
> This will be at a Toyota/Subaru/Chrysler dealer.

Buy a Subaru, either plain Impreza or a WRX with the $250, since it's
from the dealer you might wrangle a great deal. (Of course you'll need
to augment it a bit.)

> The car changes with the inventory,
> but it will always be something kinda basic
> (Camry, Forester something like that).

Can you do the 'drive a demo' for say a few months as an extended test
drive type thing then in a little while (say six months) tell em you'd
like to take the money as you'll be buying a new car? (I wouldn't
exactly tip my hand, just discreetly inquire.)

> I live about 9 miles from work.  The big advantage
> is that my Scirocco could be off the road for long periods.
> AC would be really nice (92* today).
> I've never had a car that I would do nothing to.
> They will even wash the demo for me!
> The other side is that I could put $250 a month
> into my Scirocco.  What do you think?

I'm with KevinC about the R32, I saw one ND weekend and the damn thing
hauled ass in a very refined manner. I mentioned the WRX before
because of the dealer connection. Either would be a nice new car.

You could put the $250 towards the Roc (I have always countered folks
who ask why I don't just get a new car with such a plan- do you know
what kind of Scirocco you could have if you pumped a new car loan's
worth of money into it?)

If you do this you should perhaps consider getting a daily driver
mobile for times when the Roc is sidelined getting upgrades. Perhaps
our friendly neighborhood dealer has something spiffy on the used car lot.

I'd like a bird in the hand- driving the demo (long term) doesn't suit
my nature.

TBerk