Won't Idle

OK, I've searched a bunch of threads on VW Vortex. Also wanted to get some
opinions from the list. I will fire right up if I give it gas but will not idle.
I can turn the idle adjustment screw with my fingers. I shouldn't be able to
right? Could a vacuum leak there be enough to keep it from running? Also the
car is pretty loud so it may be leaking at the downpipe. Would that keep it
from idling? Any other insight would be great.
Matt
1981 Mars Red
Louisville, KY