Won't Idle

Able to turn it by hand eh?  Yeah, bet thats your culprit.  Pull the screw
out and put a new oring on it...its probably hard as a rock and causing a
massive vacuum leak.  I actually had mine fall out one time (yeah, it was
that loose), and acted the exact same as your describing.

As for the downpipe leaking, nah, that in of itself should not cause a
serious idle problem.

--
Eric
www.vintagewatercooleds.com

79 VW Iltis
81 Scirocco S (TDI Swap project)
90 Corrado TDI
91 Cabriolet (2.0 Crossflow swap project)