Shifter play

It may very well be....my plastic bushings were gone, nothing else....but then again there are lots of pieces in the linkage that you should check. You can actually see if your  plastic bushings are gone on the linkage rod (long thin rod running horizontal) and the vertical shaft(perpendicular to the thin rod, but thicker).
John