Progressive rate springs-- was coilovers, epoxy, etc...

>   I see that the kit in question has a linear rate spring, which begs the
> question:  What are the benefits of a progressive rate spring over a
linear,
> and vice-versa?  Is there one that is more beneficial for coil-overs?  And
how
> about standard struts?

ok, the idea behind progressive rates are that you can use them on a daily
driver and drive failry comfortable while keeping pretty good response when
at the limit in hard turns, hard braking, etc. i've ran a set (neuspeed) for
the longest time now, and they have served me very well.

to get similar response from linear springs, you would have to go with an
increased spring rate, which would also require increased damping to prevent
bouncy ride, and the combo of both of these makes the ride that much
rougher. not just rougher 'at the limit', but rougher all of the time.

i've personally found the progressive springs + adjustable konis to be a
good combo. if i plan on smooth driving (highway) and want a soft ride, i
can lower the damping of the konis, and since i wont be using a bunch of
suspension travel, i stay within the low spring rate area, so i get no
bounce. when i want to push things, i have to raise the damping to prevent
bounce as the springs operate in the more compressed (higher spring rate)
band - in the hard corners.

HTH

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger Scirocco GTO 2.0 16v (daily driver, 190k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX (30% complete, rocco #7)
86.5 Occo 16v Trailer (rocco #8)
90 Passat GL 16V (the wifes new daily, 190k)
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (wifes daily, 290k) **FOR SALE**