Progressive rate springs-- was coilovers, epoxy, etc...

Well, now that I have successfully trod the coilovers firmly into the ground :-
P, I have a question regarding springs...

  On my GTI, I have progressive springs that came with a KONI kit several
years back (like prolly 20 or so when KONI had a full kit).  I do have KONIs
on the front, and I am presently saving for the ones on the rear.  I have no
idea who made the springs, or what rate they are, but I like the ride...

  I see that the kit in question has a linear rate spring, which begs the
question:  What are the benefits of a progressive rate spring over a linear,
and vice-versa?  Is there one that is more beneficial for coil-overs?  And how
about standard struts?

  I realize that this may come down to a preference, but I am interested in
what the consensus is either way.  I am especially interested if there is
first-hand experience with one over the other, or any other pertinent
details...

  Thanks for reading...

--
Regards,