  From: Jeff Toomasson
  To: scirocco
  Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 7:48 AM
  Subject: Can someone explain the benefit of coilovers? (Was: Coilovers $195for all A1's)

  I'm really hoping someone can explain to me what coil-overs _exactly_ are
  and what their benefits are.

  >From what I gather, original A1 shocks are used (be it Koni, Bilstein,
  Tokico, etc.) but are cut??  The coilover kit comes with different springs
  and perch offering a more narrow diameter. They also offer ride height
  adjustability.

  Just how is this done?  Wouldn't a shock/strut be more susceptible to
  failure by reducing its travel?

  Do they actually handle any better than a normal setup? I assume from a
  lowering standpoint that having the a-arms parallel to the group is still
  optimum???

  Thanks, Jeff