From: "Scourge" <scourge@cogeco.ca>
To: "Rocco list" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 3:53 AM
Subject: Cams, lights, revoulutions, and the weather(long)

Hey
(exit lurk mode)
Just have a few questions need answering.

 Question the first : My 86 rocco(stock JH), solid lifter or hydro?  I was
under the impression that all 85 and up vw's were hydro. But a friend told
me that all A1's made in W.Germany were solid....I'm confuzzled. And is
there any way to tell without removing the valve cover? Also, if it's hydro,
I'll be  swapping on a solid lifter head in the spring, any problems/things
that don't line up?

 Question #2 : My tach randomly cuts out. I just had the cluster out of the
car and apart, so it's entirely possible that something didn't get plugged
back in properly, but I'm a lazy POS and don't wanna take it back out yet.
So where does the signal for the tach come from?  I think coil? I figure
corrosion could also be at the heart of my problems.

 Question #3 : Gay head lights.(yeah that's not really a question) Low beams
both work, click on the high beams and both lights on the passenger side
some on, but I lose low and high on the drivers side. I had this happen with
my 82 and it was just a fuse......no such luck here. I've checked what I can
see of the wires and all seems well. I've been planning on relaying my
lights for a while now(still just crappy little seamed beams) and I was
wondering if I can get away with one 40 amp relay for the low beams and on
for the highs, instead of one for each bulb? I have no intention of getting
eurolights.
Also could somebody with a bently tell me what fuses are for what?  I don't
have anything labeling them, thanx!

 Question #4 : The outside temp gauge(MFA) has not worked since I got the
car. It just reads -40, is this more likely to be them temp sender or the
wiring? Where is the sender and what does it look like? What colour is the
wire for it?

Any input is greatly appreciated!!!
TIA
 -George

P.S. It's frikkin' cold!!!!!!!!.....!   And I've been on the list for just
over a year now!! Yay rocco's!