Rattleing and grinding comeing from the front drivetrain...

Sorry - haven't been paying a lot of attention to this thread, so if I
repeat, excuse me.

I bought the tool a long time ago, lent it to someone, they skipped town,
took my $250 tool.  I ended up getting another one that I don't lend out,
but you have a couple of options.

1.  If you are only going to do this once or twice, remove the knuckle and
go to a mchine shop or repair shop with a press.  Have the hub pressed out,
then remove the circlips and have the bearing pressed out.  Have the new
bearing pressed in (being sure to "push" on the outer bearing races -
pushing on the inners will destroy it).  Install the circlips.  Now, support
the inner races and press in the hub.  If the inner races aren't supported,
the bearing will be destroyed.

2.  If you are going to do this several times, or have a club or group of
friends, buy the tool.  Schley Products and SIR tools make them & I have
used them both.  I prefer the Schley, but it reall makes no difference.  I
can do a bearing in a few minutes (after the axle is out) and did the fronts
on my 81 as a matter of course before a cross-country trip.

3.  You could try making the tool as suggested here.  Isn't all the
complicated.  The hub can be pushed out by using really long bolts that are
the lug-bolt pitch.  The bearing could be pressed in and out using threaded
rod (big and beefy) as well as a lot of different sized beefy washers.  I am
a cheapskate & I bought the tool, but I have probably done 10+ wheel
bearings in the last 5 years.

Good luck,
gd