Shift rod bushing

Hi- I have ordered a shift bushing kit, and replaced all of the bushingson
my 87 16V.  However, I still had trouble shifting, and I found that the
bushing which seems to hold the long shift rod centered is totally
disintegrated.  It is centered in a bolt on bracket bracket just before the
black selector ball.  I went to the stealer and was told I have to order a
whole new bracket, not just the bushing inside it.  Is this true, or can I
just order the bushing from parts4vws.com?

Thanks,

Aaron