anybody got tips on proper drivetrain alignment in a mk1?

ok tonight I'm going to try and get this thing to sit right...the 16V
mounted in my mk1 jetta is just not right...visually it appears off and it
twitches on idle and bucks a fair bit under hard acceleration from
standstill...I really haven't been able to "give it" from a stoplight the
way I want..I know the mounts are good, I replaced the ps one, got a
Diesel rear and like new drivers side and front.
I'd like to try and do this without a poly front mount first and if its
still not hooking up right, then do the poly prothane puck.
any tips on how to do it?
Some I've heard just say loosen em slightly, go around the block, allow
the motor to find its own sweet spot then tighten.
Manual says loosen sides and front and rear and adjust until the rear has
no side load on it, then tighten.

Also, wrt the front mount, is it necessary to shim the "cup" out to take
out some of the slop?  Is it sufficient to just use longer bolts and some
beefy washers between the crossmember and the cup?

any advice is really appreciated
thanks
sandor