anybody got tips on proper drivetrain alignment in a mk1?

Sandor wrote:
> ok tonight I'm going to try and get this thing to sit right...the 16V
> mounted in my mk1 jetta is just not right...visually it appears off and it
> twitches on idle and bucks a fair bit under hard acceleration from
> standstill...I really haven't been able to "give it" from a stoplight the
> way I want..I know the mounts are good, I replaced the ps one, got a
> Diesel rear and like new drivers side and front.
> I'd like to try and do this without a poly front mount first and if its
> still not hooking up right, then do the poly prothane puck.
> any tips on how to do it?
> Some I've heard just say loosen em slightly, go around the block, allow
> the motor to find its own sweet spot then tighten.
> Manual says loosen sides and front and rear and adjust until the rear has
> no side load on it, then tighten.
>
> Also, wrt the front mount, is it necessary to shim the "cup" out to take
> out some of the slop?  Is it sufficient to just use longer bolts and some
> beefy washers between the crossmember and the cup?
>
> any advice is really appreciated
> thanks
> sandor

The Scirocco.org list archive is your friend:

<http://www.scirocco.org/list/archives/2003/April/msg01892.html>

Read the two relevant follow ups, esp the one pertaining to Potter's
suggested way.

I didn't did deep enough in the arc to find his (Mike Potter) original
prose but the summation is one click away from the above link.

hth,
TBerk