Compression Test Question / CV Joint Prive

I want to conduct a compression test on my 16v and was wondering about some vagueties the Bentley manual stated. One, how do I "disconnect the coil wire from the center of the distributor cap and connect it to ground on the engine block using a jumper wire?" What kind of jumper wire will I need? I figured I'd ask before I did something stupid.

Also, my left CV Joint is rattling under right turns, I'm pretty sure its going. I would replace it myself but it requires removing the drive axle and I'm not willing to do that. How much does a new CV Joint cost and what are the labor costs with putting in ("I'm assuming) both in?

Thanks a bunch,

Carlos