16v intake manifold sludge , does my car have it ?

Well , I got another 16v intake that I'm gonna polish
up and replace it with the one in my car , but this
intake manifold I got is layerd with black dirty
sludge on the inside walls , really nasty looking ,
does my car look like this too ? If it does then I'll
be very shocked , what could I do to the manifold
inside ? Could I have it polished or polish it myself
? thanks , Aaron in San Jose -