First scrirocco, what to look for

The other thing, (and I hate to say this,) but you should see what it does
to your insurance rates, if it's  16V and you're young, that could be the
deciding factor. ANd any $500 car will likley need some mechanical
attention, mechanical can be fixed ( but $$$), but make sure it's
structurally sound. But your mechanic will check that. At this age, how it's
been taken care of becomes at least as important as the odometer reading.
Heck, the odometer may not have been working for years anyways. GL, but if
you et it, first thing you need to get after the fluids is a Bentley. You
WILL use it.
Cathy