David Marshall's pages

Mark ........... wrote:
> I remember when that happened.  There were about 20-30 VW enthusiast
> websites that got taken down by VW in the course of about 2 months.
> Most of them just received cease and desist letters from VW about how
> they were attempting to trade on VW's reputation and essentially steal
> from them.  No one could understand how enthusiast sites could possibly
> harm the business of VW - they would only boost it.  Then VW threatened
> their ISP's if they didn't comply.  Didn't take long for them all to
> disappear.

Well, unfortunately it's about protecting the brand.

(I used to work a long term contracting job w/ Levi Strauss & Co.) Note
I spelled the whole thing out, hard to unlearn things.

"I want to go Xerox those pages..."  If you dilute the brand name and it
escapes out into common usage you loose control of it.

So they loosen the pitbulls who go and do what they are paid to do and
bring the bones home to bury in the backyard- safe and sound.

TBerk