A cheap solution to tired hatch struts

Motormite Mighty Lift 95267  replaces  VW part 533 827 550   for 1984
Scirocco  ~ $60 for a pair in 1998.

Bentley says to have a helper hold the hatch while you replace the
struts.  You might be able to get by with a stout pole, but that hatch is
HEAVY!.  If you replaced the hatch with a light weight fiberglass unit with
a thin Plexiglas window you could cut your Auto X or 1/4 mile times in half
- I'm sure. Anyway, once you feel the weight of the hatch you will realize
how strong the hatch lifts are.

Chris