Super Heavy Duty Axles

At 8:39 AM -0500 12/16/04, David Winchell wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 07:49:24 -0500, Dan Bubb <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>  I don't think he's suggesting these for the everyday street driven Scirocco.
>>  And they're hardly comparable to the common rebuilt axle!
>>  Maybe some of the street driven turbo Sciroccos with over 300 Hp
>>might need them.
>>  Probably the only guys that would really need them would be guys
>>running drag slicks that can
>>  actually get enough traction to worry about breaking an axle
>>through shear torque.
>>  Dan
>
>Yeah, I understood that.  Like I said. Pretty cool.  I was intrigued
>by the "Upgrade" offered as well. Vented boot? Sounds like sweet
>stuff.  My point was they cost more than most of us paid for our cars
>(not me unfortunately) and that expense would be steep.
>
>I hadn't heard of anyone snapping a CV from off the line torque or
>ortherwise. I know they fail (like I said I have had several rebuilt
>or replaced) but usually it is due to the torn boot spinning out out
>the lubricant and allowing metal to metal contact over time. (Gotta
>love that clicking sound.)
>
>Dave

Data point of interest...

I have personally sheared an outer 100mm type cv joint at the starting line
at a drag strip. Waterfest 2004 as a matter of fact, about 500 people watched
me go - nowhere - after dropping the hammer.  It sheared right where the CV
joint ends and the splined shaft begins.  It's a pretty cool hunk of
metal that I
keep around.  Car was the '04 GRM race car, making greater then 160hp based
on 1/4 ET and trap (probably closer to 180hp).  Drag radials.  Cheap limited
slip, courtasy of Phatom Grip and Dan Bubb.  Anson helped me swap out the
axles at the strip.  Here's a fun photo: http://cyco.ataxxia.com/sheared.jpg

later.

==Brett