Super Heavy Duty Axles

> Well actually there is a guy up here named goldmember he is running a VR6
> turbo with NOS in a mkII GTi usually breaks them at the drag strips. He
> has
> gone through quiet a bit. So it does happen. Its just not for the average
> owner only if you running 500hp or more.
>
> Kevin

We've replaced one (stock) axle (torn boot/just worn out) since we've been
dragging the 16V.  (4 years now? AT least every other weekend all summer/
on slicks, and it DOESN'T have 500 hp) Mind you, there is always going to
be a weak spot, I'd personally rather replace an axle than some of the
other options. Denny seems to toast clutches, though VW trannies seem to
die with some regularity on the strip. Not like Hondas, they actually
carry spare axles.

So I'd say blow a few up stock ones before spending the big bucks, but if
you're building for crazy power, beef up a bunch of other stuff at the
same time. (Oh, look, my new expensive axles are perfect, but what's this
big crack doing in the crossmember???)

And it's always good to know where to go if you DO build for crazy power.

Cathy
1999 TDI New Beetle
1987 2L 16V Scirocco
1979 1.8L 10:1 8V
"Deja moo- the feeling you've heard this bull before"