Tranny Selection

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 12:00:00 -0500, Dan Bubb <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Comments within:

> > Is a 2Y with a .71 5th what work with what I want?
>
> Maybe if you can stand the big jump to 5th.
> You know you're going to have a pile of torque with that engine and a really wide torque band. I'd
> round up an ACN. It has a .75 5th with mid spaced (i.e.not close and not wide) 3rd and 4th ratios.
> Maybe put a 3.94 FD in it. Decent cruising RPM and you'll never be off the power curve with the
> engine you intend to build.
> my .02
> Dan

For what it's worth, I think Dan's right on the money here.  I would
stick with a wide-ratio gearbox and a 3.67 final drive.  If you really
must have a 3.94 final drive, get an A2 diesel gearbox - they're
plentiful in Canada and often in good shape.  They offer a good gear
spacing suitable for a broad flat torque band such as you would find
on a 2L, but they also have a 3.94 final drive.

Drew