Tranny Selection

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 12:00:00 -0500, Dan Bubb <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Maybe if you can stand the big jump to 5th.
>  I'd round up an ACN. It has a .75 5th with mid spaced (i.e.not close and not wide) 3rd and 4th ratios.
> Maybe put a 3.94 FD in it. Decent cruising RPM and you'll never be off the power curve with the
> engine you intend to build.
> my .02
> Dan

I have to be the first one to tell you that I am not sure of what the
different ratios and final drive numbers convert to in the real world.
 What I will add is that I have an ACN in my 2.0L 16V and I have a 9A
in the Turboed G60.  Both are mkII Sciroccos.  I love the ACN and
often get frustrated with the 9A.  The power band in third and fourth
gear of the ACN seem to never want to stop. Highway driving is great.
low rpms at high speeds, but still enough power to pass and if you
have to drop a gear for really fast maneuvers it takes it with stride
and doesn't sound like I am killing the motor. The 9A revs through the
gears almost too fast, especially for the turbo. Just hit good boost
when it is time to shift again.

Just my $0.02 from personal experience.

Dave

--