6 gear 020 and misc. bs

> I've been reading around about 6 speed 020's.
  I have two plans for the 3a scirocco.
> Autocrossing, and a 6500 mile round trip to Boston, Waterfest, and Nova
> Scotia.   I realize I will probably never make it past 3rd gear in
> autocross, but I'd like a close set of gears with something nice for
> cruising too.

It surprises me that so many think that a tall top gear (5th or 6th) is the
do-all/be-all/end-all of transmissiondom.
I think the nicest aspect of my 16V is the low top gear; always ready for a
squirt ahead without downshifting, happy to run at 80-90mph for hours and
get close to 30mpg while doing it.
What more could a Scirocco driver want?
V (peace)
Larry