Wires, coils, and elephants

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of C Boyko
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 7:51 PM
To: Scourge
Cc: Rocco list
Subject: Re: Wires, coils, and elephants

It is my understanding that testing coils is one of the most inconsistent
test you can perform on your car.  I have been told several times that if it
works, it will, if not, replace it and see.  I have never had one fall into
spec either, new or used...

David

Okay, and another question, have any of you actually had primary
resistance fall within the specs in the Bentley? I have one on the car now
which reads 2.3 as primary, Bentley says it should be .52 - .76. So I got
a new coil, it read 2.1, still not within spec. I took it back since I was
offered a used one, and it reads better, around 1.1, but still out of
range. (But I'll install it) Just wondering, since I tried my run of the
mill CTC meter, and a fancy schmancy one from school, and no big
difference in the reading.

And George, I have a used set of wires you can try out if you like. Or a
new set you can borrow for the weekend...I'm just using OEM stuff on mine.

Cathy, "one of the girls"
1999 TDI New Beetle
1987 2L 16V Scirocco
1979 1.8L 10:1 8V
"Deja moo- the feeling you've heard this bull before"