How do [external] oil coolers Work?

Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 1:42 AM
Subject: RE: RE: How do [external] oil coolers Work?

> A solid lifter motor has a higher oil pressure than hydro lifters.  If you
> put in a hydro pump, the max oil pressure is somewhere around 40psi(I
> think).

A solid lifter motor may be designed to operate at a higher oil pressure although I can think of no
reason why that would be so.
The oil pump for the hydraulic lifter engine has more capacity and the bypass valve on VW's isn't
particularly big, so despite whatever the design pressure is putting a hydro oil pump on a
mechanical lifter engine will get you very high oil pressures at least when the engine is cold.
My ABA with GTI head and hydro pump will make 100psi at 2000rpm running 5-30 oil when cold. Oil
pressure on the highway and up to temp is typically 70-80psi.

> The rubber hoses I speak of are the soft "coolant hose" type.  There were
> cooler kits (like transmission coolers) that were sold with these types of
> lines and hose clamps.  They would eventually blow off or rupture.

Obviously, running heater hose would be inadequate. Aeroquip (and I'm sure Parker) make rubber hose
for this application that is only textile braided and has a 400 psi operating pressure. Plus they'll
have any fitting you need to connect to the rest of the system.
You don't need stainless braided hose.
Dan