How do [external] oil coolers Work?

> From: "Dick Y Wong" <sailingfc@dslextreme.com>
> Date: 2004/08/24 Tue AM 02:18:30 EDT
> To: "Camron D. Crouse" <camron@worldaccessnet.com>
> CC: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
> Subject: RE: How do [external] oil coolers Work?
>
> I have a system that utilizes the braided lines.  For a solid lifter engine,
> the cold start up oil pressure can easily reach 150PSI.  This can blow off
> rubber hoses and hose clamped fittings.  Don't know what the cold oil
> pressure is for a 16V.
>
> -Dick-
> 78 Scirocco
> Original Owner
> 95 Passat
> Second Owner

I think your concern is possibly well waranted, however I feel am having trouble with a few things.  150 psi for a solid lifter motor, or a hydraulic motor seems high to my minds eye, but I cannnot say for certain.  I have a solid lifter motor that, like a dummy, I put a hydraulic oil pump on.  I have no idea of what pressures it would therefore produce (other than too high), and I have not had ANY hint of leaks at all with my system.  This Euro oil cooler setup has rubber hoses that are much like AC hoses, so I don't think the factory would put those out without doing considerable R & D...

No offense, just my .02...

Cheers,
  David