How do [external] oil coolers Work?

> I am also interested in an external oil cooler/oil thermostat kit, for
> my 2.0 16V  I am running the Evans NPG+ waterless coolant
> <http://evanscooling.com/main25.htm> and Dyson Synergyn 15w-50 Synthetic
> oil, and during bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic my engine temps get
> quite high.  Oil temps 250+ degrees F, and coolant guage above 3/4 hot.
> My temp guages ran much cooler when I had regular antifreeze/water in
> the cooling system, but I prefer the noncorrosive nature of the Evans.
>
> David U., I know you have spoke highly of running an external oil
> cooler... what do you recommend?  Anybody else have opinions?  Here's
> what I have been made aware of:
>
> Autotech/Setrab kit: US$419.95 SS Braided hose / US$389.95 Poly hose
> <http://www.autotech.com/catalog/oilsys.htm>
> GPR Oil Cooler kit:  US$189.00
> <http://www.gprparts.com/brands/gprOilCoolerKit/>
> Volkswagen Country kit: up to US$109.76
> <http://www.volkswagencountry.com/empioilsys.htm>
>
> Quite a stratifiaction in prices.
>
> Thanks
>

> - Camron from Vancouver, WA USA

Camron,
  I meant to pipe-up before now about this...  I have the Euro factory setup.  This uses a different oil filter housing that has a T-stat and hose connections built in.  It is worth every penny!  I paid 175.00 from Jman, and it came with the hoses, and the cooler itself as well as a bracket to mount it.  On the GTIs, they have a place to mount the sucker on the passenger side of the radiator.  It bolts up and looke like factory (cuz it is :-)).  The factory hoses are not stainless braided, but they are highpressure and up to the task.  The cooler is actually a Type 1 oil cooler, mounted to a brakcet that converts it to accept the hoses.  It works excellent, oil temps never go above 105C, even with spirited driving in 100F plus weather...  I too have Evans, and anyone considering getting Evans should consider an oil cooler, or the use of Synthetic, period...

Cheers,
  David

PS--  jman should be able to get more oil cooler set ups if you are interested, contact him via vortex...

---Chrome don't get you home.---