Unfusing the main line, Will fuse the smaller ones.

I talked with one of our head electrical engineers.  He said Corvettes have the battery behind the seat and run like a 4 guage cable up to the starter.  They don't fuse that line either.  He said not to put a fuse at that location for two reasons:

One, which is the problem I am having, is that it will cause a certain amount of voltage drop to the starter causing the problem I am having.  Also he stated it would have to be a hugh fuse which would make the problem worse.

Two, the reason it is not fused is because if the heavier gauge line shorted out it would drain the battery before starting a fire.  It is the lighter gauge wires that cause the fires.

He suggested to leave a direct line up to the starter and then branch out with fused smaller gauge lines to the other devices in the car.

Originally I had a 60 amp push in style fuse.  That blew on half a crank then I got the 250 amp.  I have talked with other people and they have had 140 amp fuses blow if the car turns over for any length of time.  So that gives us an idea of how much current is being drawn.

I will be fusing any lines coming off the the main distribution block in the engine compartment.

Thanks for all your help.

Don Walter - Waukesha, WI
1969 Beetle
1969 Karman Ghia
1971 Karman Ghia
1986 2L 16V Toronado Red Scirocco (under repair)
1986 1.8 16V Black Scirocco (my new ride)