Garage Expansion

A few things:
1- the guy down the road moved his entire two storey house from town, about
a 15 minute drive. He had to get a bunch of clearances/ permits, and verify
basic stuff like heights of hydro wires, and widths of bridges. Not cheap,
but he got the building for essentially nothing, it was a historic home, and
a candidate for demolition where it previously stood.
2. my brother had a company lift his home on steel beams, to put a basement
under it. If the structure is secure, I don't see why it couldn't proceed
from there to move it sideways a few feet. Again, not likley going to be too
cheap/ need permits, etc....
3. those who have been here may not know that the building next to the Wind
Tunnel ( the "pole barn" where Adam's Rabbit lives) was built from what used
to be the house/garage roof. The contractor told me they were going to come
in with a crane and asked where I would like the new building (when we
decided to add above the house garage), and I thought he was on crack, or
was pulling my leg. Nope, poles went in, the neighbours assembled to watch,
and the roof moved across the driveway with the help of a huge crane. It was
pretty cool actually. They just drilled some 6" holes into the roof, slid a
big post under the trusses on each side, and hooked up chains to that for
the lift. I have a cool picture of my flowers with the roof floating above
them. The toughest part was figuring out where to park the crane so it
wouldn't dig in too far.

So it is possible to move wooden structures, it's just a question of if it's
cost effective to do it. And it would depend on how the thing is constructed
too of course. Half a building may lose too much structural integrity, where
are those engineers?
Cathy